Friday, June 29, 2012

THE BEST Moment of Trials

Great prelims this morning in lane 4. Standing within inches of Lochte, Phelps & Soni,  I couldn't look at them although I thought about leaning over to bump shoulders - then I thought better of that idea so that I could still give a report from my assignment on deck tonight instead of from the airport headed home!


THE best moment of these Trials was a swim-off for 17th place in the women's 200 breast. This was for the 1st alternate and it was louder than at any other time in during any prelims. It matched an All-American college athlete from Louisville against a 14 year old wearing a practice suit (not the high tech down to the knees). This young lady was grinning ear to ear as she stood next to me getting ready. She looked a little frantic as she heard the short whistles for "get ready." I said: "Don't worry, they'll wait for you. Take your time." She was in awe of the noise and just excited to be there. The noise was deafening from the small crowd still left, so much so that the ladies didn't hear the long whistle to get on the blocks.


The 14 year old won and the place erupted again. Then the priceless moment of the BEST moment - a group of spectators, young girls probably 14 years old and younger, were reaching out for this "champion's" autograph. She was elated - surprised - humbled - and simply enjoying the moment. That is the best of USA Swimming.


Here is a collection of photos from my 6th floor perch at Thursday night finals as well as some from deck this morning. I've got some videos to upload later and will take more video of some races on Saturday night.


Friday Finals Assignment: Start end, lane 8







No comments:

Post a Comment