Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Going Home - The New & The Familiar

Retreat is about experiencing the new but can also be about going home to renew. We never want to stay in the same place we've always been. There is a movement to our spiritual development. But there is something that can happen when we "go home," back to something familiar that reaches into the distant past that God used to shape us to be who we are today. That is where I found myself today - in the new and the familiar being renewed.




The new was part of something familiar - Shaker Village, a place I've visited multiple times, enjoying the pleasant & peaceful surroundings of this farm. But it was off the well worn path that I found myself in new surroundings, walking one of the trails for about an hour. Through the woods, past a stream, to a waterfall, into the open meadows, along fencelines.







The beauty of God's creation in sharp contrast to the Pacific coastline of two weeks ago is a testimony to His vastness that we can never hope to put into our own little box of personal experience. He's always got something else in store, around the next curve.


Hot and sweaty, I drove back to Wilmore and the Asbury Seminary campus for Chapel and this is where I came home to the familiar. First was Albin Whitworth, one of the finest pianists and organists you will find. He was a consistent presence in the Chapels of the 80's. Then the surprise of going home was Dr. Bob Mulholland was scheduled to speak. Stephanie served as his Administrative Assistant for 2 years and we grew close to he and Lynne during our time at Asbury.



The connection we have with the Mulholland's goes beyond Seminary days to the baptism of our girls many years ago. I was thankful the doors at Gethsemani were closed for this week.


These 4 hours in the morning served to remind me again why I am doing what I am doing with my life. Some called it a waste. Some thought it silly. Some close to me were not supportive. I've really never had any doubts. Today my heart was renewed to that calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment