Sunday, June 24, 2012

The time is here....

Reconnecting with good friends, exploring new scenery and being in the midst of history are all coming together for me here in Omaha. Good friends from Cornerstone graciously opened their spare bedroom to me for the duration of Trials. Thanks, Tom & Christy. Of course, I'm a little worried that poor Elaina has now begun throwing up. That would not look good on national TV throwing up into the pool! Praying that doesn't happen.

Before I forget, my assignment in the morning for prelims is "the warm-up pool." Yes, they are stationing three of us in the warm-up pool for the morning. Apparently assignments will be different in the evening so I'll try to let you know. Regardless of where I am it's exciting to be here. The big screen in the warm-up pool area will keep us apprised of what's happening in the meet.

Tonight we went through some rehearsal for TV - where to walk - where to stand - complete with fire exploding from mechanisms on the side of the pool. We were 30 meters away and felt the heat! If there's a World or American record, watch out!



I bumped into Jamie Cahn, an official from the Baltimore area, at the airport so I offered to drop him at the hotel. I'm amazed at how God brings things together in "chance" meetings. Jamie is writing a book on management and leadership. We had really just a few moments to talk, sharing what I am reading and what he is writing. I offered to read it if he wants an opinion. We'll see.

I've added four books to my list. The first two were assigned by Coach Brenda (Sherpa Coaching):

1. The Next Level: What Insiders Know about Executive Success, Scott Eblin

2. What's Your Impact on Business: The Sherpa Guide to Business, Behavior & You, Brenda Corbett & Rubi Ho (no link on Amazon, but you could email Sherpa Coaching (see link to the right) for a copy.

3. 9 Things You Simply Must Do To Succeed in Love and Life, Henry Cloud (big surprise, another Cloud book!!)

4. The Unknown Battle of Midway, Alvin Kernan - I found this book on a list produced by the University Library association. I've always been a fan of WWII history and Midway is my favorite war movie. Mr. Kernan was on an aircraft carrier during the Battle so comes at it from a very interesting perspective and is able to give many details not told in the movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment