Monday, July 2, 2012

Last Day of Trials

It's an off day for me so I get to watch the whole finals tonight from my media booth perch. There's only 2 events tonight - women's 50 free final and men's 1500 free final. Both great races with totally different strategies. Then it's down to the deck to watch the Olympic Team parade and celebration. Many on the team are headed home for a few days, reporting to Knoxville for training camp by Saturday, then off to France to fine tune and finally London.


You may or may not have heard yet that apparently Michael Phelps is not swimming the 200 free in London. His coach's tweet says it's to concentrate on the relays. I also found it interesting that Lochte said had he gotten 2nd in the 100 fly he probably wouldn't have swum it in London saying: "This is a training meet." It really was for him and for Phelps. I don't think it was for anybody else. These two guys are in a world by themselves. It's an historic rivalry that may not be matched for a while......then again.


And Missy Franklin - the first woman to qualify for 7 events in one Olympics! WOW! At 17 she really is the future of USA Swimming, although the winner of the 800 free, Katie Ledecky, is 15 years old. They are fun to watch.


A reading week awaits me when I get home Tuesday. I've really missed time to read and think. It makes me realize that the next three meets of the summer will most likely offer the same constraints.



No comments:

Post a Comment