Monday, August 27, 2012

Rev. Francis McCormick

When you cross something off your bucket list there is a combination of fulfillment, excitement, the taking of a deep breath and a question: was it all I expected it would be?

After many years of waiting and a few months of contact and planning I got to cross one thing off my list today and had all those things. For some people, old books and old buildings are just that - old. My children are beginning to refer to me as old so perhaps I belong there anyway.
Rev. William Jessop's Journal - 1790-1791
I sat down in the St. George's UMC for about 3 hours to read through the journal of Rev. William Jessop, a Methodist circuit rider in the last 1700's. The journal covers only two years from 1790-1791. Why this journal? Jessop was the first Methodist my subject, Francis McCormick, remembered hearing. Besides, to hold something that old in your hands and think about the history it contains is one thing. To hope for a connection to McCormick was another......that didn't happen. It was the best shot I've uncovered in my research but it appears the journal is a year or two too late.

McCormick came to faith in late 1790 becoming a powerful force for the Kingdom in bringing the Gospel to the Northwest Territory, across the Ohio. He founded the first Class Meeting (small group) in 1797 at Milford before helping found what is today Armstrong Chapel UMC before finally settling in Salem, on the east side of Hamilton County to lead what is now the Salem UMC. He's buried in the Salem Church cemetery.

I did discover something in my reading, one of the last letters sent by John Wesley, the Father of Methodism. On Tuesday, April 5, 1791, Jessop copied the letter (dated February 1) into his journal. Wesley died on March 2nd. For a history buff, that was a really cool find.

John Wesley letter (copied) page 2
John Wesley letter (copied) page 1
People like - or dislike - history for different reasons. I like it because I enjoy uncovering connections, understanding events and also why things turned out the way they did. The history of a person or organization colors who and what they become. We are products of our environments, for good or ill. Not completely but where we live, our family, our choices for activity all factor into who we become.

People who grow up sufring are different from people who grow up on a farm. People who are from Texas are different from those who lived in Vermont.

History will usually tell you why things are as they are today. Cornerstone Church is a product of being in West Chester, planted at the time it was and colored by choices and actions. We're not slaves to the past but in order to move forward I think we have to know from where we've come.

What's the saying: "Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." I see things in my history that explain why I am the way I am, why I do some of the things I do. Some of that needs to change. Some of it is neutral and it just me.

What is in your history? What about faith - were your parents, grandparents or others Christ-followers? Can you look back and see choices as well as the movement of God's grace that brought you to faith? What about choices that have not been helpful? What do you want history to write about your faith tomorrow? Wise choices today lead to wise living tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment