Thursday, August 16, 2012

Uncharted Territory

Beginnings and endings are the cycle of life, winter and springtime, summer and fall, planting and harvesting. Problems arise in our lives when we think we live always in spring or always in harvest.

I'm beginning to cycle out of Sabbatical and move toward return. It's been fun. It's been renewing. It's been a humbling time as God and I have spent a lot of time peering into my heart, opening up old wounds to discover some of the "why's" about the way I am. It's been an encouraging time as I have renewed my call, my passion, my love for the Lord and His Kingdom.

I've started thinking about September but am resisting the details. There's still some Sabbatical time left: a swim meet, a trip with my son, and a trip to one of my favorite history spots, Philadelphia. There's still time to plant but the harvest is around the corner.

I am so very ready to be back at Cornerstone. The staff and I talked before I left about how Cornerstone would be a different church and I would be a different person. I am praying the old patterns that need to go we will let go, living into the new things God has for us.

Before Memorial Day weekend Will, Kyle, Kevin and I met with Brenda, my executive coach. The topic of the day was Sabbatical time - expectations, concerns, fears - and also re-entry - expectations, concerns and fears. It was an incredibly productive day. Now it's time to apply what we discussed.

One of the great concerns was this: me exerting control where I didn't need to. Things have changed. Processes are new and in place and moving forward. The question now is, where do I fit in and how do I make the best contribution to accomplish our vision?

Control, the need for it, whose it is and how it gets in the way has been a consistent theme this summer. I'm a control freak and that needs to change. It's not good for me, for Cornerstone nor for the Kingdom. I feel that I've laid the foundation and now it's time to walk on it, living it out day by day.

I'm getting ready to start on the weekend message for September 2nd - "Uncharted Territory" from Genesis 12. God has things in store for our lives, as He did for Abraham, but only if we'll obey His call and travel by faith to new places, by new ways. In order to live into God's plan, things had to change in Abraham even as geography and circumstances changed. I'm excited about the journey ahead of us into uncharted territory. I believe we'll be blessed as we follow in faith.

On my bedside table is a partially read book about Ernest Shackleton's expeditions to Antarctica. I love the adventure, the leadership lessons and the history. To recruit the balance of his crew for the Endurance it is said he placed this ad:

This is God's call to us. It's a great adventure. Are we willing to follow?

No comments:

Post a Comment