Sunday, September 2, 2012

Guarding My Heart

How great is Cornerstone Church? I don't know how many Pastors receive a standing ovation from their congregation but I was blessed and honored today with one. I know it wasn't deserved but that's the kind of people who make up Cornerstone. One couple delayed a trip for a daughter's birthday, just to be in worship on this day. It was a humbling morning.

Are we perfect? By no means. Some people find Cornerstone unfriendly. Some consider us unBiblical or at least unfocused or misdirected. Proof that we're not for everyone and we need every congregation in the community to reach the community.

I'll be re-directing this Blog in a few days, perhaps as long as a week, to something for the long haul. I'm considering the title: "Guard your heart." This is a message that has been hammered home loud and clear.


Above all else, guard your heart, for 
it is the wellspring of life.
Proverbs 4:23

Our hearts are the core of our lives. Nurture and grow the heart and life grows. Allow infection, i.e. sin, to reside in the heart and it blows holes that will destroy.

My heart is guarded when....
  • I'm at rest in my salvation
  • I'm surrendered to God's will
  • I'm aware of my weaknesses
  • I'm accountable to others for my spiritual growth
  • I'm regularly filling my life with God's Word
  • I confess my sins
  • I'm in relationship with a local church for worship, study and community
  • I pray with a thankful heart

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, 
present your requests to God. 
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts 
and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

That's not an exhaustive list but how will you guard your heart today? This summer has been key to helping me guard my heart. I also know that I must change some of my routine in order to guard it into the future. What do you need to do differently to guard your heart?


No comments:

Post a Comment