Sunday, May 13, 2012

Back to the Basics

The countdown is now 10 days and the one thing I'm thinking is how much I'm going to miss being part of Cornerstone Church. I love doing life with this Church. But God has plans for this summer. It's going to be a summer of growth for me and for Cornerstone.

This Sabbatical is about getting "Back to the Basics." Shore up the foundation. Strengthen the supports. Renew the things that have grown weak. Family has always been #1 for me but I've not always lived that way. Life got in the way, dragging my focus aside to other things.

I've created a summer calendar around four key basics in my life: family, hobby, history and my son, John. Supporting the time will be reading the Bible and also some books, many by Henry Cloud. Times of retreat and prayer, coaching and reconnecting are vital to the plan.

FAMILY: I have told every church I've led that if I lead 1000 people to faith in Christ but my family doesn't follow Him then I've fought the wrong battle. Family is my first church. A marriage conference, swim meets with my son and a family trip to England will create some great memories.

HOBBY: The sport of swimming has been a part of my life since age 5. After competition has come officiating. I have been blessed to work with some incredible people in the world of swimming. One mentor, Pat Lunsford, provided me the encouragement and opportunity to grow my skills as a starter. I am honored to be allowed to serve in that role at some incredible meets.
   Any attempt to list the people who have helped me, assisted me, mentored me, challenged me to be better and given me opportunities to grow, fail and learn, would certainly miss someone. You know who you are. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
   This Sabbatical gives me the opportunity to grow my skills through more repetitions with senior level swimmers, working with a variety of people at meets I would not normally get to work and experiencing some fantastic swimming. A highlight of the summer will be serving on the Olympic Trials deck. The bonus will be staying with good friends from Cornerstone who've been gone 4 years now.

HISTORY: The Revolutionary Period has always held my attention so some time will be spent in tht time period, including some additional research on the Life & Ministry of Rev. Francis McCormick, father of Methodism in the Northwest Territory.

JOHN: This Sabbatical is well timed to spend time with my youngest before he heads off to college next year. When asked what he'd like to do.....he responded without hesitation: "Jump out of a perfectly good airplane with a parachute!" I can't believe I'm going to do it but I'm going to do it. What a great memory we will make!

Back to the basics. What is it in your life that you need to get back to?

No comments:

Post a Comment