Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Uncharted Territory

It was a great send-off from the Cornerstone staff. Always count on the youth pastor for some fun and games! Thanks, Will for the memorable rendition of "leavin' on a jet plane."






So it's off on a journey. I don't know everything that is in store but I know it will be used by God for good, no matter what it is (Romans 8:28). My goals are simple:


1. Renew my spirit and heart for ministry. Recently I discovered a courage I didn't realize I had lost. Finishing well is about staying strong but life and ministry make that difficult. It seems that the years have taken a toll on my heart but I refuse to let the negative things about ministry cause my heart to turn toward stone.


2. Grow relationships with my family. A couple of weeks for just me and Stephanie, a wild and wonderful Olympic trip for the whole family - including the newest member at that point, son-in-law Brian - and some time for me and John to do some "guy" stuff (which may involve jumping out of a perfectly good airplane!).


3. Grow my officiating skills and experience. I'm really excited to be part of the U.S. Olympic Swimming Trials, an unbelievable privilege. Add to that 4 other officiating teams and it looks like a fantastic summer of swimming and learning. The real bonus for Stephanie is at least 5 more shirts to add to my collection!! Afterall, we know it's all about the shirts.


4. Grow my self-awareness through reading, counseling and coaching. I asked for reading recommendations from friends and colleagues. As I mentioned before, the overwhelming recommendations concurred that the writings of Henry Cloud would be the best for doing some "inside work." The first book in progress is Necessary Endings. In order to move on, some things need to end. The rhythm of spring time and summer, fall and winter, planting and harvest, is a normal part of life. The sooner we can grasp that, the more likely we are to see that endings are a normal part of the cycle of life.


   I am also privileged to work with an executive coach in Brenda Corbett from Sherpa Coaching. Everybody should be privileged to have somebody who will speak truth, make you work without giving you the answers and not let you get away with sloppy leadership. She's already given me some homework I'll be sharing about later. Thanks, Brenda, for making me a project.


I'm reminded of Abraham's call in Genesis 12:1 "The Lord had said to Abraham, 'Go from your country, your people and your father's household to the land I will show you.'"


This journey could be titled "Uncharted Territory." I'm marrying off my oldest daughter and gaining a son-in-law whom we already love. That's new. I'm taking this extended time off from a job I love, missing people I love. Never done that before. I'm part of the team officiating at the fastest swim meet in the world. Many new things to learn with that experience. Then there's that airplane and parachute thing. I know I've never done that before - but I love my son!


So I'm off on my Abrahamic journey, leaving the familiar for the unfamiliar, knowing the God I follow has only blessing in the midst and at the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment