Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Next Steps

"In their hearts humans plan their course, 
but the LORD establishes their steps."


Next steps are vital to getting where you're going. A most famous antithesis comes from Alice in Wonderland. Alice is wandering around, trying to find a way out of Wonderland. She comes to a fork in the road and meets the Cheshire Cat. Alice asks the cat, “Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?” 


That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,” replies the cat.

I don't much care...” says Alice.

“Then it doesn't matter which way you go.”

Next steps are important to have lined up BUT, and it's a big BUT, the best laid plans of men are no match for God's purposes. And we wouldn't want them to be.

"There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the LORD." (Proverbs 21:30)

I've got plans laid out for this Sabbatical: a stack of books to read, ideas for blog posts, trips, reservations, thoughts, a to-do list and some goals. I sought some counsel (Proverbs 15:22). I laid my plans next to my goals to make sure they could get me where I want to go. Most importantly, I prayed, asking for God's leading.

I think I understand God's plans for my life, at least the short-term ones. I'm not referring to the no-brainers - the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) - a life worthy of the name of Jesus (Colossians 1:10). I'm talking about the internal work for now so that I'm ready for the future. But I would never presume to know it all. "The Lord establishes their steps."

My highly scientific and theological method for determining God's will is this: "pay attention." Be aware that God is working His plans for me each day with every person and circumstance. So I try to pay attention. To do otherwise would be arrogant. It's my way of living out Proverbs 16:9.

Vision is more like a compass than a roadmap. It's the compass not the calendar that matters most. It's the direction you are going that matters more than the speed with which you are getting there. I want to be headed in the right direction. That direction comes from God's Word and His overall plan which is so easily recognizable. Each day brings different ways to live it out.

I've followed different paths that I thought were God's will - for instance, a Ph.D. in Church History for teaching in a Seminary - but whether I misinterpreted or missed something or the journey wasn't a mistake at all - instead I found my way to teaching at the Emmaus Seminary in Haiti. A deviation to be sure but overall the same path, teaching pastors. And most certainly what God had in mind all along. "In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps."

I don't know exactly where things will end up on September 2nd but I do know God's plans will succeed. Far be it from me to try to thwart those by failing to pay attention to the opportunities and people He puts in my path. I want to live into those plans and make His next steps my next steps.

What plans do you have? Are they yours or the Lords? Are you paying attention?

No comments:

Post a Comment