Monday, May 28, 2012

The Rhythm of Sabbath

“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy."
Exodus 20:8

The rhythm of Sabbath has been crucial on this journey. Different seasons have brought different looks. When there were no children, Sabbath was whatever. Multiple children meant more planning and missing. College age has sent me back to flexibility. The soon coming empty nest will be a new adventure.


A Sabbath Day is to be holy. Holiness is about drawing near to God which instinctively means separating from anything that draws us away from Him. Holiness is not separate so much as distinct, radically distinct. Holiness is about being present with God. It might be filled with some activities or absent of them. There's no prescription for Sabbath. In fact some persons in my life have tried to script the Sabbath practice but that seems to be a violation of Jesus prescription: "the Sabbath was made for man not man for the Sabbath." (Mark 2:27)


I can't see myself doing anything else with life. It's a privilege to be able to say that. O, I can coach swimmers to swim faster - I can teach Pastors - I can be the Angry Birds World Champion - but local church ministry is my calling. It is fulfilling and draining. It is energizing and difficult. These 25 years have been a great ride filled with incredible stories of transformation where I am in awe that God could use me. There have been miserable failures, mistakes, poor choices, words that hurt - and these are the things I've done!


It's the rhythm of Sabbath that has sustained me, but there have been sporadic times during the parenting of teens years. When I skip Sabbath I can be found drowning in a whirlpool of negativity, personal agendas and temptations. The years have worn on my heart. I've let those little snippy comments, those under-the-breathe remarks, those anonymous notes get under my skin. Pastors know what I'm talking about. There's no other job like what we do.


My early years practice was twice a month, often spending one of those at my alma  mater, Asbury Seminary. Attending chapel, meeting with professors, spending time in prayer, listening to CD's on the road all served to re-connect me with the Lord. Other times I would go to Bicentennial Park on the Ohio River - just a notebook, pen & Bible. No agenda. Just me and God - reading - praying - listening. Sometimes it was an opportunity to reconnect with Stephanie, for in loving her is how I love God best.


For me, this Sabbatical is the natural extension of a Sabbath rhythm. What is your  rhythm? You might need to discover it. No two Sabbaths are alike. The important part is being truly present with God and that requires a Sabbath rhythm.


*photos from Garden of Gethsemane & wall of prison cell in House of Caiaphas

No comments:

Post a Comment