Thursday, July 12, 2012

Bait & Switch

Have you ever been disappointed by the reality behind the advertisement? I've never been to "Rock City" for just that reason. There are too many billboards along I-75 to ever live up to the hype.


Today we ventured next door to Glen Eyrie to the Garden of the Gods (these are stock photos off the Internet). We like beautiful scenery and never having seen this particular slice of God's creation, in we went. It was beautiful, with stunning views of Pike's Peak and up close views of God's creative hand at work. We marveled at the homes built with incredible views.






Then we went to the Visitor's Center to learn more. Sort of backwards but we're glad we did it in this order. We did some reading and learned that the name came from someone who wanted thought it was a great place to start a beer garden. Someone else replied, it's a garden fit for the gods. And there you have it. What a let down!


It got me to thinking about my life as a Christ-follower. Is what I advertise way better than what is real? Is my life the real thing or is there more in the promise than in the delivery?


There is plenty to say about some Christian teachers who promise things like: you can experience God's forgiveness without repenting of your sinful lifestyle; if you follow Jesus He'll make you materially rich; we're all called to serve, but really it won't take up much of your time. All of those are lies, a bait and switch.


But I'm making it personal. You may have heard this quote: "Your life is the only Bible some people will ever read." That is true. It propels me forward to be more like Jesus in my everyday life. There is much work for God to do in my life, rooting out the many parts that aren't like Him. I'm thankful for the work He has already done and most grateful to know He's not through yet.


Philippians 1:6 "being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."


We all have some things to end. We all have some things to begin. Now let's do something. What encourages me and makes me fear God is to one day realize that the way I lived got in the way of someone coming to faith in Jesus. I know I'm not responsible for someone else's actions or reactions. Everyone has to own what they choose to do. No one will be able to stand before God and say: "I did this or didn't do that because of what Jeff Raker did." I get that. But it still challenges me to train my life, to develop a heart that looks like Him.


Where do you need to grow? Does God want to create a garden to display His glory in your life but all you want to do is fill it with "beer?" (Don't anyone go off on a tangent there. You know what I mean!) What activities are you involved with that are helping your heart be like Jesus? What needs to be cut out that's not helping?



No comments:

Post a Comment