Monday, July 23, 2012

Blessing in the Unexpected


Sunday was a good day. It began a few days ago when I approached Greg Rhodenbaugh, swimming friend from Cincinnati who now coaches in Missouri, about tagging along to church. “Sure,” he said, “but we're going early because we're moving to a new house.” A quick conversation between my brain and my heart said - “I guess the Christian thing to do after tagging along for worship would be to offer to help them move.” Then I looked at the temperature – 102 degree forecast.

I enjoyed my time with Greg and his family – 7 boys (6 are at home) and 1 girl – and his lovely wife, Lisa. Greg and I had a chance to share our faith journey stories which encouraged me. God works in some wonderful ways, using the smallest of circumstances and nudging our decisions to bring us to the places where He can do His best work. It's a sobering thought that His best work is with thing that are dead or at dead ends, without hope in this world.

I thought twice – maybe three times – about not going to church with them and spending the day helping move. I could have stayed at the hotel spending the time reading, writing, drinking tea and catching the hotel shuttle to the airport. Years ago that's what I would have done. For a reason yet unknown to me I have often chosen to be by myself or to say no to surprise opportunities.

I remember being in Germany with friends, turning down an offer to go to a water polo practice with one of his brothers. What did I miss?

I remember offers of golf games, baseball games, movies and more that I've turned down because it wasn't in the plan. Could God have used other things?

I enjoy reading. I enjoy some solitary silence. A lesson learned in the first half of this Sabbatical is the joy found in letting go, paying attention and being spontaneous (not a natural trait of mine). I usually wouldn't have gone out with fellow officials after our evening finals sessions. Partly from a money standpoint. Partly I'm not hungry. Partly I'm usually tired and definitely not a night owl. But I did this week and at Trials and I enjoyed myself, learning about others, growing relationships. The Sabbatical grant certainly helped make those decisions easier.

Today my mind turned to the subject of control. It's an illusion, control is. We're never really in control except of our own responses to the things life brings us. We can make plans, and we should. We can develop goals, and we should. But nothing ever goes as planned. Today my flight from Columbia, MO was delayed to the point that I couldn't get out of Memphis tonight. I contemplated seeing good friends in Memphis. I decided to take a shuttle to St. Louis, fly to Chicago then Dayton, arriving 3 hours later than planned. I had no control, except over my response. How would I treat people on the phone and in person at the airport? What about the shuttle driver? I have control over my behavior.

When I have to be in control I believe I miss the unexpected, unknown blessings God has in store. God can work in anything (Romans 8:28), if He's in control. If I plan every detail with meticulous scrutiny I will automatically put myself on a path that avoids the blessings God can bring my way. I might feel secure, holding tightly to me plans, but what will I miss that I'll never know? He blesses us through friends, through family, through unplanned encounters with strangers.

If I'm trying to control everything and my plans aren't followed and I choose to give an unChristian response, I miss a blessing. I can't be blessed if I speak in anger to the Delta attendant at the ticketing counter. I can't be blessed if I want what I want the way I want it and order everyone and everything around. I get exactly what I want and that is potentially – and probably – less than God intends.

I didn't plan on helping Greg move but I was blessed when I chose it. That's another part of control, saying no to suprise invitations and possibilities. Saying yes more often can be a good thing.

My plans were upended with flight changes but I've been blessed with time to read and write.

Unexpected circumstances – surprise opportunities – detours and re-routes. Opportunities to talk with people about faith. Possibilities of being blessed by the stranger encountered on the new route. All of it can have the fingerprint of God if we'll pay attention and control that which we can control. Us.

Did I mention my car was in Cincinnati, not Dayton? That's for another time and place.

No comments:

Post a Comment