Friday, August 10, 2012

A Few Lessons from London

Leaders are learners. Stop learning and you'll stop being a leader. Stop growing and, well, you die. We're either growing or shrinking. Whether it's our mind, body, or heart/faith, growing is what we're created to do.


"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being 
renewed day by day."

Spiritually, since this is not our home, we are growing toward our eternal home. It's one reason we don't want to spend our time building a personal kingdom here on earth but rather spending time renewing that which is eternal. Renewal is part of the miracle of Sabbath.

We're back from Great Britain, tired (a cancelled flight from Detroit so we drove most of the night instead!), full of stories and experiences that will last a lifetime. I'm so grateful to have been able to work this out for the whole family to have been together for part of the trip.

Everywhere I go I try to learn something. I have somewhat of an insatiable curiosity about how things work, trying to see the little things that others might pass by. Sometimes it gets me in trouble because I ask a lot of questions and need to learn to ask them differently (or sometimes not at all!!). I think that's why I love history so much. Seeing the connections, understanding what went on in a place, how it might have looked and learning the lessons are a passion of my heart.

I learned some lessons in London (and the other places we visited). Some were exciting while others were pedestrian. Some were challenging while others were encouraging. Here is just a sample along with a few photos.

Hillsong London
1. Jesus is alive in London but you have to look hard. Finding All Souls Church (home of the late John R.W. Stott, a giant in evangelical Christianity) and Hillsong London almost puts a bookend on the continuum of faith in London. Both are solid ministries, the former much older than the latter. Even in St. Paul's for the Evensong service (sans the choir which was on holiday) I was encouraged that the name of Jesus was lifted up and Scripture was highlighted.

Hillsong London
Another important piece was More Than Gold, the ministry outreach using the Olympics as a platform for ministry. It involves 15 denominations and hundreds of servants from around the world. A powerful testimony of the Gospel.




All Souls






2. Changing habits is really hard. I'm not sure I ever got the "look right THEN look left" while crossing the street. Early on the trip I nearly walked in front of a bus! Seriously!! On our first taxi ride from the Broxbourne train station to the High Leigh Conference Center, I was in the front seat, ducking and swerving while riding where I usually drive!

3. Living in community is a great tool God uses to shape us. This is a lesson I saw lived out every day in Great Britain. The Underground (or Tube as it is known) is an incredibly efficient transportation system in addition to the trains all over the country. Miss a train and you could add up to 30 minutes to your trip. Here in America we are far more individualistic, insisting on governing our own time.

God uses community to knock off our rough edges. To live self-centered is not how He created us to function. Traveling with a group - like your family - based on a schedule created by a committee (like the train and tube) means I don't get to decide. A schedule and other individual needs all come together to create something new.

I'm working on a full post about community. God's teaching me some things.


Warwick Castle
4. I enjoy castles and other "old stuff" as Caroline calls it. One could spend months and probably not tour all of the castles and stately homes in Britain. I could spend a day in each one.

Just some highlights.


No comments:

Post a Comment