Sunday, July 8, 2012

Be Real and so Guard Your Heart

Church and relevant aren't terms that many people put together. Meaningful and worship seem antonyms to much of our world. Stephanie and I enjoyed a trip to Lexington to see Caroline and her boyfriend. We went to worship @ Quest Community Church, whose Sr. Pastor happens to be on a summer Sabbatical. Who knew!


I've wanted to visit here to see some of the difference Quest is making in our world. It's a great story whether I have all the details right or not, but it's the outline I've heard. Pastor Pete was a student at Asbury Seminary and working at an Applebee's. There he began a Bible Study and basically it was the genesis of Quest. I know there's WAY more but it's simply great to know that God will use you wherever you are if you'll knock on some doors and walk through them, seeking to be obedient to Him.


So we're there and the topic is Dating - nice and relevant for the youngsters with us! The band was excellent musically, the show was eye-catching, the videos relevant, the testimony powerful and the message long. I definitely wasn't a fan of the 90 minute worship time and I didn't prefer the songs I didn't know (which was all of them). It was Biblically based and definitely relevant.


I also heard the best line I think I've ever heard a Pastor say. My daughter was actually embarrassed thinking about the fact that I was ticked off that I hadn't thought about saying it first. It's one of those lines that would get a hand signal from my wife - "W" for "Way too much information."

The teacher said: "I didn't see my wife walking into my life but I sure enjoy watching her walk away (PAUSE).....Forgive me Jesus!"
It was real.


One of my goals in life is to not complicate God. Being real is the best way I know how to do that. I've taught in several different churches over these 25 years. In one it was taboo to share too much personal information, I think, because gossip was rampant so nobody wanted anybody to know too much. In another it was a sign of lack of sanctification to share about struggles and temptations and sin in your life, so I didn't. In another it was just improper to get real about life because it was a social, perhaps high society, church. It's enough to make a Pastor schizophrenic!


I've not always met my goal to not complicate God by being real. Some things a Pastor can't share because it's not my story to tell. Some things just aren't helpful. But more churches would be better served if we Pastors shared more personal stories and insights than we do now.


This summer has so far been a reality check for me. I'm reading about leadership and seeing where I fall short. I'm reading about the heart and seeing where mine has some healing needed. I think the biggest reality, so far, has been how much more important being is rather than doing. Heart versus skills. I blogged about it earlier (Doing v Being). I've heard it and read about it and realized it but no where near the depth that I do now. And I'm pretty sure I'm only scratching the surface.


It makes so many things make more sense. Self-care isn't selfish if being is more important than doing. To make sure my body is in shape, my mind is growing, my heart is focused on the Lord can't happen if I'm not taking care of myself. It's part of being who I am. If I'm not at my best then I can't be at my best for the Kingdom. If home isn't clicking, then work will feel the impact. It's way more important to concentrate on the condition of my heart than it is to try to learn new skills as a leader. God knew this a long time ago:


Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it."

Being real with yourself is one of the most important things we can do in life. Own what is in your heart. Understand the breaks in your heart. Let God embrace them in His grace so that He can heal them. Be honest. Be real.

Philippians 4:6-7 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."


Guard your heart. How will you do it? Are you ok with who you are even if you don't completely like who you are? By that I mean, can you say it? Can you own it? Can you admit your weaknesses and not try to dismiss them? Guard your heart. Be real with yourself and with others.


No comments:

Post a Comment